Meeting Notices


Rates & Fees





Lancaster Sign





The Lancaster City Council met for its Regular Meeting on Wednesday, July 11, 2018, at 7:00 P.M. in the City Hall Meeting Room.  The following members were present: Olson, Hilman and Bowlin. Nordin present at 7:30 P.M.  Peterson was absent.

Bowlin moved to approve the Council minutes of the June 13, 2018 regular meeting second by Hilman and carried.   A copy of the Minutes will be posted at the Lancaster City Hall and U.S. Post Office and available upon request to the clerk.

The council reviewed the July 2018 bills presented this night; any other bills that have been paid prior to this meeting to avoid late payments, receive discounts & meet payroll and all payroll expenses as approved in the 2018 Rates Fees & Appointments Schedule.  Hilman moved to approve the bills, second by Bowlin and carried unanimously.  An abstract of bills will be posted with the minutes and are available upon request to the clerk.

Gary Rice met with the council to request that the city pay a portion of Sion Lutheran Church sidewalk replacement project.  The church plans to replace the sidewalk from the intersection of Central Avenue and 3rd St. to the Sion parking lot and also enlarge the handicapped ramp at the intersection and add an additional handicapped ramp.  Estimated cost for the 2 options is $9,800.00 and $11,000.00.  Bowlin moved to make a $2,500.00 appropriation to the Sion Lutheran Church upon completion of the project, second by Nordin and carried.

Clerk reported that the election filing opens July 31, 2018 and closes August 14, 2018 for the Mayor and 2 council positions currently held by Olson, Bowlin and Peterson respectively.

Council discussed 2019 budget issues of  lagoon repairs, lot development, equipment needs and salaries.  Clerk will work on the budget for next meeting.

Council discussed paving quote from Knife River Materials, the council got this quote because they will be in town paving the county road that is Central Avenue and this will save mobilization and other cost due to their close proximity.  The total cost to Mill and overlay 4 different areas: 1 block on 3rd Street; patch on Minnesota Ave.; 3 blocks of 3rd Street and Alaska Street from Central Avenue West is $76,015.00.   Council noted that there is one riser for a manhole on 3rd Street and estimated that the cost for that would be less than $500.00.  This quote is very good compared to the milling and paving costs for the 5th Street project completed 2 years ago due to the company working in town already.  Hilman moved to accept the quote for all 4 projects for an amount not to exceed $76,500.00, second by Bowlin and carried.

Zondagh reports that the sewer and manhole repairs must be completed as soon as possible due to erosion of street and is in the process of obtaining manhole parts to complete the repair.  He also stated that at this time he doesn’t recommend raising the sewer line on 1st street. 

Council discussed dead trees on the city lot at the corner of Alaska Street and Central Avenue.  Bowlin moved to have Zondagh obtain 2 quotes to remove the dead trees and proceed with the low quote as soon as possible, second by Nordin and carried.  Hilman abstained.

Council discussed the private structure at the city campground that the council approved removing in it’s May meeting.  The structure has been removed by its owners.  Council directed clerk to ask other cities about their campground policies and council will work on developing an updated campground policy.

Maintenance also reported that there are some privately owned properties in town that are not mowing, trimming and controlling weeds.  Bowlin moved to sent property owners a notice that they are required by ordinance to mow; trim and control weeds, second by Nordin and carried.

Clerk reported that if a shortfall occurred in the Fire Relief retirement monies administered by PERA due to increase in benefit levels and/or a decrease in fund earnings at the end of a calendar year the city would be required to make up the shortfall by the end of the next calendar year.  The Lancaster Fire Relief Association will hold a special meeting August 1, 2018; 7:00PM at the Lancaster Fire Hall to discuss the a benefit level increase and make a recommendation to the council of any benefit level increase they may approve.

Council reviewed the June financials for the City and Liquor Store. 

Mayor reports that due to the hiring of part time maintenance for the summer at the park and elsewhere the $2,000.00 year for taking care of the 59 Park will not be implemented and that the person that has been cleaning the shower house will be paid at the step 1 cleaning scale.   Also, Olson will ask maintenance to mow the park trails.

As there was no further business the council adjourned.

Carol Johnson, Clerk/Treasurer                         Approved:  Mike Olson, Mayor 

Approval Date:  August 8, 2018





Other links: Lancaster Riverside Golf Course | Lancaster Public School


Home | Contacts | Meeting Notices | Minutes | Rates & Fees | Community Center | Events | Pictures

Copyright © C Johnson-City of Lancaster all rights reserved



This Web Page Created with PageBreeze Free HTML Editor